Compare Private Van Insurance Quotes

If you only plan on using your Van for social, domestic and pleasure uses, then you will only require a private Van insurance policy. By using Vancompare.com to shop around, we ensure you get the right cover at the right price with minimal fuss.


What’s covered with private Van insurance?

Private Van insurance only covers you for social reasons. This can include going on holiday, taking a trip to the beach, a shopping trip or using your Van for hobbies and activities such as surfing, mountain biking or camping.

It’s worth noting that unlike car insurance, private van insurance doesn’t cover commuting. If you use your van to get to and from your place of work, you’ll need a commercial policy.

Do I need private or commercial Van insurance?

If you use your Van for any work-related activity, you will need a commercial Van insurance policy. Work related activities include carrying tools, equipment, or goods as well as commuting to and from a place of business.

If you are unsure, you should seek professional advice. Getting the wrong insurance could mean you’re not covered in the event you have an accident or fall victim to theft. You could also be personally liable for any injury or damages caused to a third party.

For more information, we’ve prepared a handy guide on Van insurance classes of use to help you understand what type of Van insurance is fit for your circumstances.

Different levels of private Van insurance

There are 3 main levels of private van insurance. In general, the lower the cover, the lower the cost. It’s always worth comparing quotes from all different levels to see which is best for you, your circumstances, and your budget. Vancompare.com makes it quick and easy to compare quotes in minutes.

  • Fully Comprehensive

    This is the highest level of cover you can purchase. You will be covered for all injuries and damages to third parties and their vehicles as well as repair and replacement of your own vehicle. Extra services could also include courtesy vehicles, breakdown cover, no claims protection and audio cover.

  • Third Party, Fire & theft

    You’ll be covered for injuries and damages caused by you to third parties, their vehicles, and their property. You’re also covered for theft, and in the event your Van catches fire. You won’t be covered for the repairs or replacement of your Van or its contents in the event of an accident that’s deemed to be your fault.

  • Third Party Only

    Simply put, third party covers everyone except you. Your vehicle is not covered in the event of an accident, nor is it covered if stolen or subject to fire.

Can anyone drive a Van for private use?

As with a car, you’re going to need a valid driving licence to drive a Van in the UK and abroad. LGV’s (light goods vehicles) weighing under 3.5 tonnes, with a maximum of 9 seats (Inc. the drivers) can be driven in the UK on a standard CatB drivers’ licence. That means no extra test is needed.

If you want to drive a Van over 3.5 tonnes and up to 7.5 tonnes, you will need to complete extra training to obtain a CAT C1 licence.

Anything heavier than 7.5 tonnes and you will need an HGV (heavy goods vehicle) licence.

How to compare private Van insurance?

It’s easy at vancompare.com! Simply fill out our smart form with your personal information, details of your Van including make, model, registration, and any modifications, then tell us about your driving history. Finally, select the level of cover you require and any extras you want to include, and we’ll quickly search our database of over 20 leading insurers to bring you the best deals.

Your browser is out-of-date!

This website is built using latest technogies. Unfortunately your browser doesn't support those. Please update your browser to view this website correctly. Thank you.Update my browser now