Commercial Van Insurance

Commercial Van insurance can sometimes be complex and is significantly different to the policy you may have for your personal vehicle. You’ll want to make sure you have adequate cover for the type of business that you're conducting. Here’s what you need to know.


Do I need commercial Van insurance?

Commercial Van insurance is aimed at protecting you in the course of any work-related activities. So, if you use your Van for work or any other form of business, you will need an appropriate policy to ensure you are adequately covered. A van that’s used in connection with making an income of any kind may not be covered on a standard insurance policy.

By law, all Van’s in the UK are required to have a commercial insurance policy if they are used for business purposes. Even if you are simply driving to and from work or to one location for business, it’s important to have the correct insurance in place.

If you don’t properly insure your Van for the correct purpose with the right level of cover, you could be putting your business at risk of financial stress. Always make sure you have adequate cover and never withhold information from your insurance company that could void your policy.

What is classed as a commercial vehicle?

Under normal definition, a commercial vehicle is one that’s used to provide a service such as the transportation of goods or materials rather than the transportation of people. Commercial vans also include those used for food service such as roadside snack trucks or ice cream vans.

Commercial Vans will include seating, either next to or directly behind the driver but the main feature defining a commercial van will be the space in the back to carry cargo or any towing, lifting, or lowering hardware.

Vans come in all shapes and sizes in the UK from pickup trucks and panel vans to dropside vans, tippers, and double-in-cabs. The majority of the time, most vans are generally categorised as commercial vehicles and will be used for business in one way or another.

What cover do I need?

In a general sense, commercial Van insurance will protect you financially against accident damage and if your Van is stolen or catches fire. These are the basic minimum levels of cover you should be considering for your business van insurance.

Depending on your line of work and what you will be transporting in your Van, you will be able to arrange extra cover for:

  • Your Tools

    If you carry equipment or tools in your Van, you’ll want to make sure they are insured against damage and theft. After all, they are expensive, and you probably rely on them to make a living.

  • Goods in Transit

    If you are delivering goods on behalf of someone else, you need to ensure that they are covered for damage in transit, loss, or theft. Find out more about goods in transit cover here.

  • Trailers

    If you are towing a trailer on a regular basis, make sure it's covered. With this cover, the trailer itself is covered against damage, loss, and theft as well as what’s being carried on the trailer.

  • Multiple Drivers

    If you share a work Van or need other people to use the van in the course of business, you need to make sure they are insured by law. Adding any driver cover will ensure that anyone driving the Van is covered under your policy.

    Usually, any additional cover options will cost extra on top of your regular premium however, some insurance companies may include them as standard. As always, it’s a good idea to fully read and understand your policy documentation.

    Think carefully about how you use your Van and what you would do in the event the worst happens. You need to make sure your business can carry on as normal and that you are protected against any financial losses.

Are the contents of my Van covered?

Not every business Van insurance policy will cover the entirety of what you are transporting. What’s covered and what’s not will depend on your individual policy and what you are physically carrying in your Van.

When taking out commercial Van insurance, you need to be truthful to the insurer about what you will transport in the van on a daily basis. It's possible that they may not cover something that wasn’t declared when setting up the policy.

What’s not covered?

You need to be aware of any exclusions in your Commercial Van insurance policy. These are likely to vary between different insurers but also by the level of cover you choose. Some of the most common exclusions include:

  • Damage from Wear & Tear

  • Mechanical or Electrical Failure

  • Theft if the keys were left in the Vehicle

  • Theft of contents if the Van is left unlocked

  • Anything that hasn’t been previously declared

  • Insurance could be void if you have lied about your past.

We always recommend that you read your policy thoroughly or ask the appropriate questions at the time of taking out your insurance. You need to know what you can and can’t claim for. In some cases, you can opt for extended protection or increased levels of cover. Such policy additions are likely to cost more on top of your standard premium.

Why compare commercial Van insurance with vancompare.com?

Vancompare.com makes it easy to quickly compare Van insurance quotes online in minutes. If you use your Van in the course of your daily business, you will want to keep your overheads as low as possible. We give you exclusive access to some of the leading insurance companies, brokers, and underwriters in the UK to help secure the best and most comprehensive deals around.

  • Search the leading Van insurance companies in the UK

  • Compare quotes from leading commercial insurers in minutes

  • Get the right policy for your business

  • Receive the best customer support from our UK-based call centres

Get started today to find out how much you could save.

Your browser is out-of-date!

This website is built using latest technogies. Unfortunately your browser doesn't support those. Please update your browser to view this website correctly. Thank you.Update my browser now